Choc Banoffee Pie
Some might say this is a bit over the top. We say no there’s no such thing.
Just be sure to get your coconut cream chilling the day before so it’s ready to whip.
Prep time: 40 mins, plus resting time for the pastry
Cooking time: 45 mins
Equipment: 23cm round, loose-bottom tin
- 275g organic plain flour
- 1 tbsp raw caster sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 110g vegan butter (we like Nuttelex Buttery)
- 90ml ice-cold water
- 385g brown sugar
- 240ml organic coconut cream
- 30g cornflour
- Pana Organic 100% Cocoa Powder
- 30g vegan butter
- Sea salt
- 1-2 large bananas
- 2 x 400ml tins organic coconut cream, chilled overnight
- Pana Organic Golden Comb, roughly chopped
- To make the pastry combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, mix well. Add the butter and use clean fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until all the butter is incorporated and the consistency is like wet sand. Make a well in the centre and add chilled water, mix until a dough comes together then turn out onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, shape into a disc then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC fan.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge, allow to rest at room tempo for 30 mins before rolling out into a circle about 30cm in diameter. Line the loose-bottom tin with the pastry, pressing the pastry into the edges. Line the inside with baking paper then fill with pastry weights (or raw rice) and bake for 10 mins. Remove the weights and paper then bake for a further 20-25 mins or until the pastry is lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make the filling combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool and thicken, about 30 mins.
- Pour the filling into the prepared tart case and refrigerate overnight to set. To serve, slice bananas and arrange on top. Drain the chilled coconut cream (use the liquids for something else – you only want the thick cream for this recipe) and use an electric beater to whisk until fluffy and smooth. Dollop the whipped cream on top of the bananas then scatter with chopped Pana Organic Golden Comb. Serve immediately.