Decadent 100% Cacao Dark Chocolate Cake
It’s hard to believe that this spectacularly rich and chocolatey cake might actually be good for you, right? Made from the perfect combination of quality, organic, plant-based goodness… finally, you can have your cake and eat it too.
- 3 cups wholemeal spelt flour**
- 2⁄3 cup Pana Organic 100% Cacao powder
2 tsp baking soda
- 3⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups coconut sugar
- 170g Pana Organic Dark Chocolate pieces, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup full fat coconut milk
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a 7-inch cake tin with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cacao powder, baking soda and sea salt. In another bowl combine the vinegar and almond milk and whisk. Whisk in the olive oil, and sugar.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into your cake tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre of your cake comes out clean.
- To prepare the ganache roughly chop the chocolate into thin shards, this makes the chocolate easier to melt achieving a smoother ganache more easily.
- Using the double boiler method bring a small saucepan (we used a milk pan) with water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Sit a glass or metal bowl over the top of the pot, the bottom of the bowl should not reach the water. The intention is to heat the bowl with steam and not the water. Add your chocolate constantly stirring until your chocolate has melted.
- Remove from heat.
Tip the water out of the saucepan and add your coconut milk, bringing to a gentle boil. Pour this heated coconut milk over the chocolate and whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Allow your ganache to cool to room temperature, stirring every 10 minutes or so until the chocolate has thickened and becomes spreadable. To achieve a beautiful texture, you will want to work quickly with the ganache as at this point it will set within 10 minutes. Leave cake at room temperature until you are ready to slice.
- Using a butter knife or small spatula, spread ganache over the top of your cake and around the sides.
- Any remaining cake will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature. That’s if there is anything remaining.